Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Is being a Stay-At-Home-Mom worthy?


I got a call from my bank tonight to give my input on their performance. At first I was like "Oh yeah everything is perfect" but then as the operator went through my accounts and got to my Visa, I remembered an event that happened last year.
Here's what happened:
Kevin and I were trying to purchase a truck for him to have his own business.
Money was tight because he wasn't making as much due to being laid off due to the hard economic times. I had a major bill coming up to be paid and I realized that I didn't have enough money to make it to pay day. With all my juggling I was still $400 short and decided to call my Visa and see if I could get my limit increased. I have had my Visa for 8 years, never had an increase before, and never missed a payment. I assumed that I wouldn't have any problems I get periodical increases with my Mastercard so why wouldn't I? When I made the call I explained the situation and to my surprise was rejected, I didn't have a "job". Don't have a job? Really! At the time I was extremely upset because we really needed to pay this bill. Fortunately I made a simple miscalculation and we were fine that week.
Back to tonight, I recounted the event to the operator and informed her that being a SAHM is a job, just not in the "conventional" sense. Obviously my lack of income has not hindered my ability to pay my bills because I have been "unemployed" for 6 years. (Grrr stupid narrow-minded companies.) I explained to her that their decision to negate my importance has cost them a customer. I am a teacher and we will be buying a home in a few years when I go back to work and unfortunately for them they will not have my business.
I cook, clean, laundry, nurse and manage the bills. I'm on call 24/7, I have no sick leave, dental or medical plan and I never get a vacation. I stay home so my children can have transportation, after school care and a tutor. I believe that I am doing the best for them by giving up my career for a few years. The money we save on take out, and day care is my income. 

I sat here after having a horrendous battle with my oldest before she calmed down and went to sleep (she's sick and overtired), then settled my youngest (2 hrs after she's suppose to be asleep) and dealing with my own cold and applauded myself for getting through the day and standing up for SAHM's. We may not have bosses or pay cheques but that doesn't make us any less valuable!

- I wanted to side note that SAHM are not any better than working moms or vice versa. Each have their obstacles. Life is what it is and sometimes we don't have choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment