Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Another Day?



What makes your life special? What is about you that you are proud of?

I was wondering this today as I watching some youtube videos and reading a few articles. I can hear Madison playing quietly in front of the TV and am enjoying the quiet sleeping of the baby I babysit. Shaelyn was rushed to school in an orderly fashion after I brushed off the 6 ft of snow from my car, and am now enjoying some quiet.
I read a very interesting thought today "Let your kids be kids".
I rarely take pleasure in my little girls getting into their toys and messing up the rooms, because usually I'm busy cleaning up the mess they just made, or am making dinner or folding laundry. What I'm saying is that, sometimes we are all just too busy to sit back and enjoy the discoveries our little ones are having.

My mom is a workaholic. Most of my memories I have are her being at work. She did it so we would have a nice house and afford the things we wanted, but I've never forgotten her biggest regret. She told me that she always wished she had more time at home when we were little. I've taken this to heart very strongly. Whether it was this regret or my own desire I always knew I wanted to be a housewife. I wanted to back cookies for my kids, and help with homework, and read bedtime stories. It was a wish I never thought I'd actually be able to have because to live in a large house you need two incomes. I've been fortunate enough to have a husband who accepted my desire and I've been home with my girls since they were babies. It's not all cookies, sunshine and rainbows, but I know that I will never have the same regret as my mom. My parents are divorced and my father says this about working too much, "On your deathbed you're never going to say 'Geez I wish I worked more'" :) I think I'm more inclined to my dad's way of thinking.

I think today I'm going to spend the time watching what my kids are looking at, instead of looking at the mess I'll have to clean. I hope you'll join me

No comments:

Post a Comment